Doesn’t it feel good when you meet your goal? It sure did when I hit my target in the lift above. Your goal might be to do one strict pull up, back squat your bodyweight, or do ten push ups in a row. Whatever the case may be when it comes to goal setting you have to be intentional. You have to put pen to paper, map out mini goals, have a good support system in place and be following the right action plan. We can help you with all of those.
Today I’m going to teach you about:
- SMART GOALS
- Example Goals and how to attack
- Mini Milestones
- Give Free download to our Goal Setting Guide Workbook
Why is goal setting Important?
Setting goals gives you something to work towards and short term motivation. Self improvement is one of the best gifts to ourselves.
Tips For Goal Setting: SMART Goals
You have a goal in mind that you really want to reach? Be precise about what you want to accomplish.
“I want to get fit”
“I want to decrease my mile time by :32 seconds in the next three months so I can finally break a 6:00 mile”. Utilize these smart goals to help you gain a better understanding of how to define your goals.
Make your goals specific for more effective planning.
Define what objectives/numbers will prove you are making progress. Creating mini goals is an effective way to do this. More on this later.
You can see yourself doing this if you get serious and put a plan together.
Your goals should align with your values and long term objectives.
(T)ime Based –
Set a realistic end date for task prioritization and motivation.
“ I want to get better at pull ups”
Let’s define this with SMART goals now:
“I want to do one strict pull up.”
When that chin passes the bar that’s a pull up. That’s our measurement.
“ I’m close. I can get about half way. If I focus on it and really stick to the program I believe I can do it. “
This is a realistic goal because they can almost do one.
“I want to be able to do one within the next 60 days.”
Here is one that is missed all of the time. WHY. Why does this matter to you? Why do you want to accomplish this goal? Because when the motivation wears off and it will, you can remind yourself WHY you wanted to accomplish this in the first place.
Mini Milestones Lead To Success
The most effective way to accomplish your goal is to break things down to what you need to be doing on a daily basis. Creating mini milestones will build positive momentum and give you encouragement to keep working hard towards your goals.
Benchmark Test + Mini Milestone:
Test 1 – Static Hang x Max duration
Results – 42 seconds
Test 2 – Banded Pull Up Pulse x Max Reps
Results – 6 w/ green band
Test 3 – Chin Above Bar + Negative Pull Up
Result – 12 seconds + 2 second negative
- Static Hang x 60 seconds
- Banded Pull Up Pulse x 10
- Chin Above Bar + Negative Pull Up x 20 seconds + 5 second negative
Don’t forget to celebrate the little victories. To help define your goal download and find your WHY download our free goal setting worksheet here.
Goal Setting Quotes
- The harder you work for something, the greater you’ll feel when you achieve it.
- Today I will do what others won’t so tomorrow I can do what others can’t.
- Do something today that your future will thank you for.
- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- If you want something you never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done.
- When you feel like quitting, think about why you started.
- Progress. Not perfection. Get better today.
- If it doesn’t challenge you it won’t change you.
- You are your only limit. It must come from inside of you. Define your why.
- It’s not too late. You aren’t too old. Be the best version of yourself.
SMART goals help you truly define what you are trying to accomplish. Utilize them and mini milestones to help you conquer your next goal.