When Christmas season is in full swing, most people are tempted with sweets and larger than normal portions of food. It can be hard to resist these temptations and that’s usually when the New Year is used as a way to start working out again and create a healthier lifestyle. “Once Christmas is over I’ll get back into the gym and eat more vegetables.” “It’s Christmas time…. It’s okay to eat all these cookies. Once the New Year starts I’ll start eating healthier and working out.”
Although these are great goals and there’s no doubt that eating better, taking vitamins, and being active make you feel and look better. What if you used each new day, new hour, or even new minute to attack these health and fitness goals? What if you never fell off the health wagon? What if you went into the New Year already eating healthier, working out, and feeling better? YOU CAN DO THAT.
Don’t quit your health and fitness goals just because it’s the season of treats and sweets. Turn your mindset from, “Once the New Year starts, I’ll eat healthier and work out” to “After this work party, I’ll head to the gym and get my 30 minute work out in, then I’ll be sure to eat a healthy dinner tonight” or “I’ll get up first thing tomorrow morning and head to the gym.”
Turning down those delicious foods and desserts can be difficult… here’s some tips to get you through this holiday season feeling good:
- PORTION SIZE IS KEY. When eating finger foods at a holiday party, use a smaller plate to limit the amount of food you eat. (Those calories add up quick!)
- Eat until you’re satisfied, not until you’re uncomfortable.
- GET ENOUGH SLEEP. The holidays can be a stressful time of the year. Traffic, holiday shopping, hosting, and more. Making sure you get 7-9 hours of sleep each night is a must. Give yourself a bedtime routine an hour before you go to sleep each night. Having a routine tells your brain that it’s time to go to bed and helps you avoid lying in bed tossing and turning with your thoughts.
- KEEP WORKING OUT. This can be difficult when you’re really busy with the holidays. Remember, something is better than nothing. Try one of our 30 minute workouts to better yourself during this time of the year.
- TAKE YOUR VITAMINS. This is HUGE during this time of the year. With the flu, cold, and stomach virus spreading like a wild fire, you need to make sure you’re taking your vitamins so you can enjoy this season. You don’t want to be spreading or catching any illnesses while visiting with friends and family.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!